Friday 23 January 2009

FORGOTTEN CORNERS OF THE WORLD

Upon the summit of the height in Winchester,where only lichens grow,i stand and gaze towards the receding horizon, hopeless that some things will never change.It's not an imperative to know where my beloved South Africa is, but the education system here has inevitably isolated,the concept of national geographic.

I recently felt marginalised and something drove home the realisation that i was an exotic breed of weed,that was hibernating beneath the shade of the indegenous plants.For consolation,i fooled myself that these are the days of our lives and in them we will accept,embrace and most of all love those that pretend or are ignorant to know about my beloved country.

For a moment like this i will raise my right arm and shout 'AMANDLA'.Those who care to answer will echo 'Awetu'.For i am proudly South Africa,proudly African and a fellow citizen of the world.I shall not weaver in telling those who care to listen that i represent a species from the forgotten corners of the world.Where only the fittest will survive.Where corruption is rife.Where civilisation was bestowed by the missionaries in the late 17th century.Where Mandela is deemed a hero.Where the cradle of mankind is and where Sol Kezner built the SUN CITY RESORT for those that can afford.

The forgotten corners of the world.My fingers are trembling with anger as i write.My anger emanates from all my Varsity colleagues who assume South Africa is a continent on its own.How do you explain that?For i am not Enlgish,Irish,Scottish or anything you can think of, but i know all countries in the commonwealth and all those beyond the shores of the Atlantic,Pacific,Indian Ocean - even those beyond the Mediterranean.Why do i care to know - because i am a son of the soil and a fellow citizen of the world.

I am not an exponent of the English language but i bothered to learn the language from my elementary days at Kindergarten.For what?Because i am a fellow citizen of the world.

Just like Paul when he wrote manuscripts which were later used by 40 writers to compile a book called THE BIBLE - i now write to you that those who want to continue with the ignorance,do so - but those who care about the forgotten corners of the world,buy a damn World Map and tell me where Gaborone is - nevermind about Gauteng.

No comments: